Based on a West Nile Virus positive mosquito collection in this area, the Southlake Mosquito Abatement District will be performing a ground-based adult mosquito control treatment this evening, August 14, in the eastern portion of Deerfield (see map below). The application will occur after 10 p.m., weather permitting.
All Village residents on the District’s prior notification list will receive an automated call, text or email this afternoon. Any resident may register to be notified prior to future adult mosquito control applications at www.slmad.org or the mosquito hotline at 800.942.2555.
You can take extra precautions against mosquitoes and West Nile with the following tips:
- Drain standing water in containers like flowerpot saucers, bird baths and watering cans or in the folds of outdoor tarps. Report standing water to SLMAD.
- Dusk and dawn are when mosquitoes that can carry viruses are most active, so limit outdoor activities or take precautions to prevent mosquito bites.
- Protect yourself by using an insect repellent that includes an active ingredient like DEET.
- Dress in long sleeves and pants during dusk and dawn or in areas where mosquitoes are active.
- West Nile Virus is rare, but if you have symptoms including high fever, severe headache and a stiff neck, contact your healthcare provider immediately.