The Village of Deerfield is governed by a Mayor and a 6 member Board of Trustees, all of whom are elected for 4 year staggered terms, and who serve without pay. The Board is the legislative body of the Village government. All administrative work is performed under the direction of the Village Manager, who is salaried and appointed by the Mayor and Board of Trustees. All meetings are open to the public.
Public Comment Policy
On December 6, 2010, the Village Board approved a new public comment policy as required by State law. For anyone wishing to address the Board on a matter not listed on the Village Board's agenda, the following rules apply:
1. Speakers shall identify themselves and their address;
2. Remarks are limited to 5 minutes;
3. Remarks must relate to a matter of Village business;
4. Speakers shall address the Board, not the audience;
5. Remarks shall be made from the speakers podium only;
6. Speakers shall return to their seat and/or leave at the end of the statement and after any questions from the Board;
7. Speakers should refrain from repetition;
8. Speakers shall not use profanity, intemperate language, nor engage in personal attacks;
9. Speakers shall respect the decorum of the public meeting and the authority of the Mayor to decide questions of order.