In 2012, the Village Board directed that staff work with the Solid Waste Agency of Lake County (SWALCO) and the Deerfield-Bannockburn-Riverwoods Chamber of Commerce to consider awarding a franchise for commercial garbage and recycling services in order to support the business community to potentially reduce costs and increase recycling options. The recommendation was followed by a survey that was sent to all businesses. The responses to the survey indicated that most businesses would realize significant rate savings by all businesses being served by a single waste hauler. The Village worked with the DBR Chamber of Commerce to form a Steering Committee comprised of local businesses and property managers that helped draft the request for proposal (RFP). Following a Village Board public hearing on June, 17, 2013, to consider issuing a RFP, proposals were requested.
The Village received proposals from 5 solid waste haulers. On January 21, 2014, the Village awarded the commercial waste franchise to the low bidder, Lakeshore Recycling Systems.
In addition to lower garbage and recycling rates for most businesses, the benefits of a franchise include:
· More uniform rates for garbage removal and recycling services included in the price
· Free 4 cubic yard recycling container serviced once a week
· Rate increases only once each year and capped at the rate of inflation
· No additional fees or surcharges for fuel
· Less truck traffic-resulting in less wear and tear on the streets
· Trucks powered by Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)
All businesses, except home based businesses, would receive garbage and recycling services under the franchise.