C-2 Outlying Commercial Zoning
Zoning District Regulations
In fall 2012 the Deerfield Plan Commission held workshop meetings and a public hearing on Text Amendments to the Zoning Ordinance to help promote and strengthen retail uses in the C-2 Outlying Commercial Zoning District. On January 22, 2013, the Village Board approved Ordinance O-13-02 amending the zoning regulations for the C-2 District (Article 5.02).
Some of the major changes to the C-2 District include:
- Adding new uses to the list of Permitted Retail Uses and Permitted Service Uses, such as: restaurants of 3,000 s.f. or less (without a drive-thru), massage services establishments, indoor pool and patio stores, party supply stores, and specialty food retail stores of 3,000 s.f. or less. (Article 5.02-B, 1 and 2)
- Allowing certain Retail uses up to 30,000 s.f. as a Permitted Use if located south of the Lake Cook Road (previously, Retail uses over 10,000 had to obtain a Special Use).
- Making Service, Medical, Office, and Recreational/Social uses a Special Use if between 10,000 s.f. and 20,000 s.f. in size. (Article 5.02-B, 2, 3, and 4)
- Not allowing Service, Medical, Office, and Recreational/Social uses in excess of 20,000 s.f. in size. (Article 5,02-B, 2, 3, and 4)
- Updating the definition of Shopping Center/Planned Unit Development so that certain building that are not conducive to retail are excluded from the 50% Retail Use requirement for the PUD.
- Creating Appendix III: Non-retail Overlay District for certain buildings that are not well suited for Retail uses.
- View Ordinance O-13-02 (PDF), which approved the Text Amendments to the Zoning Ordinance to help promote retail.
- View the amended Article 5.02 of the Zoning Ordinance (PDF) along with new Appendix III.
- View the Plan Commission's recommendation (PDF).
- View maps of the C-2 Outlying Commercial District (PDF).