2020-2021 Plan Commission Discussions
- July 28, 2021 Committee of the Whole Meeting Minutes re Inclusionary Zoning Ordinance
- June 16, 2021 Committee of the Whole Meeting Minutes re Inclusionary Zoning Ordinance
- May 13, 2021 Plan Commission Recommendation re: Inclusionary Affordable Housing Ordinance
- May 13, 2021 Public Hearing Minutes
- March 11, 2021 Workshop Meeting: Inclusionary Affordable Housing Ordinance Staff Memo
- March 11, 2021 Workshop Minutes
- February 11, 2021 Workshop Meeting: Inclusionary Affordable Housing Ordinance Staff Memo
- February 11, 2021 Workshop Minutes
- October 22, 2020 Workshop Meeting: Inclusionary Affordable Housing Ordinance Staff Memo
- October 22, 2020 Workshop Minutes
- September 10, 2020 Workshop Meeting: Inclusionary Affordable Housing Ordinance Staff Memo
- September 10, 2020 Workshop Minutes
Affordable & Workforce Housing
In January 2021, the Village approved 24 affordable housing units for people of modest income developed in partnership with Zion Lutheran Church, Brinshore Development and the Housing Opportunity Development Corporation at 10 Deerfield, click here for information on this development. (Click here for the Zion Final Development Plan).
In 2019, the Village approved an apartment housing development developed by REVA Development Partners behind Deerbrook shopping center on 10 acres, which is near public transit (the Lake Cook Road commuter parking train station), with 10 percent affordable housing with a restrictive covenant – click here for restrictive covenant.
View past discussions of affordable and workforce housing in Deerfield.
One Deerfield Place
Village staff continues discussions with One Deerfield Place, an affordable senior and disabled housing development on Osterman Avenue west of the Deerfield Post Office, and the Housing Opportunity Development Corporation (HODC). Staff is working with One Deerfield Place on how to best utilize the private funds they have accumulated for affordable housing in Deerfield. No taxpayer funds are involved.
One Deerfield Place wants to accomplish 2 goals with their funding. One goal is a larger project, such as a new building or rehabbing existing buildings. The other goal is to use some of their funding for smaller programs, such as roof repair, real estate tax assistance, new windows, grab bars and accessibility improvements as a way to help someone with low income stay in their home.
One Deerfield Place is an affordable housing development in downtown Deerfield, for more information go to: https://www.onedeerfieldplace.org/
Accessibility Grant Program
Village staff has worked with the West Deerfield Township and One Deerfield Place to begin to use some of One Deerfield Place’s funds for a new accessibility grant program. In October 2010, One Deerfield Place agreed to fund West Deerfield Township's new disability grant program. One Deerfield Place approved an initial $10,000 in support of the West Deerfield Township disability grant program, and agreed to fund the Township program further if the pilot program was a success.
Scattered-Site Affordable Housing
There has been recent interest in providing scattered-site affordable housing in Deerfield. In June 2012, One Deerfield Place closed on the property at 507 Cambridge Circle. With the help of volunteers from local religious institutions, the home and property were fixed up with anew roof, interior remodeling of the bathroom and kitchen, electrical, painting and landscaping. The home is owned by One Deerfield Place and in October 2012 it was rented out to a family of modest income. Staff continues their good working relationship with One Deerfield Place. One Deerfield Place recently purchased another single family home at 1030 Waukegan Road to renovate. The house is currently rented to a family of modest income who moved into the home in December 2013.